November 2008

Hope you enjoy a peaceful and enjoyable few days at Thanksgiving. 

No matter our lot in life it is important to find things we can give thanks for.

May God open our eyes to see all the blessings He has provided.Happy Thanksgiving. 


People with cancer can be eligible for Social Security Disability.

Social Security will want to see the latest medical records from your treatments. It is also important to have information from your doctor addressing how your treatments will affect your daily activities, how long and what treatments will be needed, and your prognosis.

In Social Security you must be disabled for 12 months or expect to be disabled that long. Your doctor will have to provide an assessment for Social Security whether you will be disabled for more than 12 months.

Of course, there are many other things going on when you  have a disease such as cancer. Part of my job is to meet with your doctor and ask for the information that Social Security needs to find you disabled. 

Please feel free to call me, Attorney Dirk May, at 309-827-4371. 

I have had a few people hire me as their lawyer right before their hearing. One big mistake they have made is not updating their medical records.

Social Security gets the medical records up until the time you request a hearing. After the hearing request you must get your records for any medical treatment you have. The problem is that it is taking up to two years from Request for Hearing until the hearing date is set. If you do not have your records updated you will most likely lose your case.

Keep track of your doctors and when you go for treatment. Order your records and send them into the hearing office. If you represent yourself you will have to pay for your own records. Some lawyers will also make you pay for your own records.

I pay for my clients records myself and ask for reimbursement at the end of the case if we win. Any questions about medical records and what you need to do please call Attorney Dirk May at 309-827-4371. Serving Bloomington, Peoria, Springfield, Decatur and Champaign, Illinois. 

The bottom line in Social Security Disability cases:  no medical treatment, no win. How do you get treatment in Illinois?

  • Private insurance
  • Public Aid card
  • free or reduced health
  • mental health clinicstate programs or limited access to state insurance

Call me for a free information sheet  on medical treatment, or to discuss health providers in Central Illinois. Ask for Attorney Dirk May at 309-827-4371.